Thursday, 12 March 2015

It's Brazil baby!

James and I have spent our last week chilling out in exotic Brazil. We spent the first 2 nights on Ilha Grande. The island was the perfect getaway after the trek. The scenery was a lot like the Whitsundays. Staying at 'Pousada do sol' hotel we were treated to a private beach and free snorkelling and kayaking equipment. We kayaked to a deserted island and walked around its perimeter watching the crabs and fish in the shallows. 

Our final days were spent in Rio de Janeiro City. This is one of my favourite cities I've ever been to. We visited the must sees- Christ the Redeemer statue and Sugar loaf mountain- and the views did not disappoint.  This city has literally been built in a mountain range, surrounded by Jungle and bordering the Atlantic Ocean. It's the perfect mix of exotic wilderness meeting exotic culture and business opportunity. Our hotel was a 2 minute walk from Copacabana beach where we watched Brazilians play beach soccer after dark. Copacabana beach reminds me of Venice beach in the USA- bustling with joggers, skateboarders and markets selling vibrant paintings and trinkets.

Overall this trip has exceeded my expectations. The anxieties of completing the public health study tour in Mexico City became triumphs. The diverse landscapes of Peru and Brazil have amazed and excited me. As always when travelling, I've learnt a lot about myself and new places and cultures. I feel small in this world but my desire for adventure and new challenges is large. I definitely need to come back to South America again someday to discover Chile, eat steak in Argentina, see the salt flats of Bolivia and more. However for now it's homeward bound.

Until the next adventure...

Lauren Allnutt x 

No comments:

Post a Comment