Thursday, 12 March 2015

Following in the footsteps of the Inca's

During the past week I have been physically and mentally challenged, forced to put mind over matter on a pilgrimage to the great Machu Picchu mountain in Peru. 

James and I joined 10 other fit and adventurous on a trek along the classic Inca trail. The ancient Inca's built a road of stone through mountainside and valleys from Ecuador, through Peru, and down to Chile some 400 years ago. The trail connected their various settlements for religious, military and trade purposes. On our 4 day journey we covered 42km, climbing 2000metres into dangerous altitudes. The trek was undulating, with the hardest day being the second. On day 2 we climbed a mere 1700m to the highest point at 4200m above sea level. The scenery was breathtaking. I felt completely at mercy to nature, so small against the giant cordillera mountain range that form the Peruvian Andes. Snow rushed from the highest peaks in powerful waterfalls and fit porters ran past us in sandals, carrying 20kg packs on their backs. 

Day 3 bought a new challenge. As we awoke stiff and tired, we were forced to start trekking at 6.30am in chilling rain. We were soaked through, unable to see more than 10m ahead. The stone track became a river. At this point I wondered why I chose this as a holiday activity. However moods swiftly turned when the afternoon sun broke through the clouds, just in time to see the epic view from the Phuyupatamarca Inca ruins.

The 3.30am start on our final day was definitely the 'Gringo killer'. Although well worth the effort to be at Machu Picchu just after sunrise, before the bus loads of fresh faced tourists arrived. The ruined city of Machu Picchu is the most beautiful historical site I have ever seen. Standing literally on the side of a mountain, the city was built and inhabited by the Inca civilisation. Everything about Inca architecture is centred around the natural environment, mimicking the landscape, seasons and elements. Windows and temples are designed to capture sunrise, sunset and winter solstice. The sun was worshipped as a god.

Upon return to our comfortable hotel I felt I had completed a pilgrimage of my own. The closing of a chapter, the ending of an adventure. There is much to learn from ancient civilisations such as the Inca's. Their respect for the environment enabled their settlements to stand the test of time. Hopefully there will be something sacred of our civilisation to be left for future generations. Something to learn from and be in awe of. Perhaps the lesson from the Inca's is to be respectful of your surroundings, incorporate nature rather than resist it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment